SHULMAN WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS STORY
PRODUCTS WE CAN'T STOP LOVING
SCHOOL SAFE RECIPES
- 1 cup filtered water
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
In a large pot, place apples into 3/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Once water has boiled, allow apples to simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
Once tender, add lemon juice and cinnamon and blend using a hand blender (or standard blender). Add the remaining 1/4 cup water if necessary to get the smooth creamy consistency.
Allow to cool before serving!
Makes 3-4 cups
Nutritional Analysis: 97 calories, 25g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 19g sugar, 0.5g protein
Greek pasta salad
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked pasta (whole wheat, spelt, brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta or red lentil pasta,)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup sliced red onions
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 3/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 3/4 cup green peppers, diced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or goat feta
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it until al dente (undercook slightly so it is still firm). Strain the pasta and transfer it to a large bowl to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, fresh squeezed lemon juice, garlic, oregano and olive oil.
Add the red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, green peppers and feta cheese to the bowl with the pasta.
Pour the dressing over the pasta, tossing to combine, and refrigerate covered for at least 3 hours.
When ready to serve, toss the pasta salad again and enjoy cold or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Analysis: 330 calories, 19g fat, 33g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 8g sugar, 8g protein
Pinwheel turkey wraps
- 1 high fiber wrap
- 4oz nitrate-free turkey shredded slices
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ avocado, sliced thinly
- Small handful of sprouts
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or mayonnaise
Add all ingredients into tortilla and wrap tightly. Cut into 4-6 pieces.
Nutritional Analysis: 366 calories, 19g fat, 10g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 35g protein
Design your own tortilla pizza
- 1 whole wheat, high-fiber tortilla or pita
- ¼ cup tomato or marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, goat, feta)
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced green peppers
- Diced onions
Please note: Feel free to change vegetables to some of your kids favorite options.
Preheat over to 425.
Place tortilla or pita on a baking sheet. Spread sauce evenly and sprinkle cheese and vegetables over top.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and edges are golden.
Nutritional Analysis: 290 calories, 17g fat, 19g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 8g sugar, 14g protein
5 TIPS FOR MAKING HEALTHY LUNCHES
BOOK OF THE MONTH