Our Favourite Fruit Salad (and how to keep it fresh)
Published on June 06, 2021
Summer is the time to stock up on fresh seasonal produce and make big salads - with fruit salads being one of them! Here at Shulman Health and Weight Loss, we love throwing all our favourite fruit into a big bowl and having it on hand for the week. Check out our favourite fruit salad recipe below with a tip on how to keep your fruit from turning brown.
Health Benefits of Eating Fresh Fruit and Some Snack Ideas
Fruits are a great source of fiber and they contain essential vitamins and minerals. Many of our favourite fruits contain a wide range of antioxidants which protect our cells from free radical damage. A typical serving of fruit is about 1/2 cup of berries, grapes and tropical fruits or 1 apple, peach, pear, plum, etc. Our recommendation is to eating 1 to 2 servings of fruit a day to benefit from the vitamins and minerals that fruit has to offer, but also to keep your blood sugar in control.
TIP - Fresh fruit makes for an awesome afternoon snack! Try pairing your favourite fruit with some nuts, nut butter or a small wedge of cheese.
Here are some of our favourite afternoon snack combos:
- Sliced apple + 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup grapes + small wedge of cheese
- Orange + small handful of unsalted almonds
- 1/2 banana sliced + 1 tbsp natural almond butter + sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mango + small handful of unsalted cashews
Summer Rainbow Fruit Salad Recipe
Recipe makes 10 servings
- 1 lb fresh Ontario strawberries (cut in half)
- 1 lb fresh pineapple (cut into cubes)
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 bag red or green grapes
- 4 kiwis (peeled and chopped)
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 bananas (sliced, optional)
- 1/2 lemon
- Wash and prepare all fruit. We love this fruit and vegetable wash to help remove pesticides from conventional produce.
- Get out a large bowl and add all fruit (except banana and lemon) to the bowl. Stir gently to mix.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the entire fruit salad and mix to incorporate - this will keep your fruit salad fresh for longer and prevent it from browning!
- Add sliced banana to the top of the fruit salad as a garnish. Enjoy!
Like what you've read? Check out some grain-free dinner ideas to prep this week!