Ingredient Feature: Hemp Hearts
Published on April 25, 2021
Here at Shulman Health and Weight Loss, we are obsessed with hemp hearts! You've seen us feature them in recipes before such as smoothies and avocado toast and today we will go into a deeper explanation of their health benefits. Hemp hearts are a great source of plant-based protein and healthy fats and they can be bought in bulk. Keep reading for more information on hemp hearts and how to incorporate them into your diet.
Nutritional Facts of Hemp Hearts
Hemp hearts are incredibly nutritious - 3 tablespoons of hemp hearts have 15 grams of fat, 10 grams of protein and 1 gram of fiber. Compared to chia seeds and flax seeds, hemp hearts are higher in their protein content and they are a rich source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Hemp hearts can be consumed raw or cooked and they have a mild, nutty flavour.
Research on the Benefits of Supplementing with Hemp Hearts
Studies on supplementation with hemp hearts has shown the reduction in blood pressure, decreased risk of blood clot formation and increased recovery rates after a heart attack. The gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) in hemp seeds has the ability to reduce inflammation in the body which makes sense as to why it is beneficial for prevention of heart disease.
The fiber in hemp hearts has been proven to aid in digestion. Whole hemp hearts are a good source of soluble and insoluble fiber which helps bulk up stool and regulate bowel movements.
As well, studies show that hemp seeds may reduce symptoms of PMS and menopause in women due to their regulation of hormone balances in the body.
To top it off, these little seeds pack a punch and will add plant-based protein to your diet.
How to Incorporate Hemp Hearts Into Your Diet
- In a smoothie - adding 3 tablespoons of hemp hearts into your favourite smoothie recipe is a great boost of plant-based protein and healthy fats. Since hemp hearts are mild in flavour, they won't change the flavour of your smoothie.
- In a salad - sprinkling a couple of tablespoons of hemp hearts over a salad adds a nutty flavour and again increases your protein intake for that meal.
- Over toast - whether you're making avocado toast with a fried egg on top or a slice of bread with peanut butter, sprinkling hemp hearts will increase protein and satiety
- On cereal - sprinkle some hemp hearts into your favourite bowl of cereal for added protein
- In your oatmeal or yogurt parfait - combine with some chia seeds and flax seeds in an oatmeal for a well-rounded breakfast
If you are interested in learning more about nutrition and weight management, reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about our programs and services.