Summer is finally here which means BBQ season and cottage weekends are quickly approaching! Here are some tips to help you maintain your weight loss while still enjoy time with family and friends.
1. Keep yourself hydrated – Make sure you are constantly drinking water throughout the day. It’s hot outside and this is when our bodies need it the most! Always aim for 2 L of pure water a day.
2. Don’t go to a BBQ hungry – Whether you are up at the cottage or going to a summer BBQ – you always want to ensure your blood sugars are balanced. Avoid going to meals hungry and aim to keep your blood sugars in check by having a small protein based snack beforehand. This will help to reduce cravings and will help you make mindful choices at and between meals.
3. Lighten up on alcohol – Aim to keep your alcohol intake to 2 drinks per week. Try making wine spritzers as a refreshing and delicious way to lower alcohol consumption. We also recommend avoiding heavier alcohol such as beer which can cause a lot of bloating and gas.
4. Bring healthy options – If you are going to a BBQ or up to a cottage, bring some healthy options with you so you know you have something to eat. Bring a nice salad, a veggie platter with healthy dips like hummus and guacamole or even some healthy snacks that you can feel good about munching on throughout the day.
5. Avoid late night eating – When up at the cottage, late night snacking can be a regular occurrence. We recommend having some light, healthy options that you can grab at this time – i.e., cut up veggies, kale chips (click here for a recipe), sweet herbal teas, skinny chews or fruit based homemade popsicles.
6. Watch the sides – Always opt for the healthier sides such as sweet potato fries, roasted vegetables, corn on the cob or green salads. Skip the heavy side dishes like fries and creamy potato salads.
7. Have less red meat – Keep your red meat consumption to once per week. Try cedar planked salmon, grilled chicken, shrimp kebabs, or veggie or turkey burgers as a lighter and leaner alternative.
8. Reduce the grain at dinner – Aim to cut back on your grain intake, especially at dinner. Swap the buns for a lettuce wrap (Boston lettuce works best) or opt for a whole wheat or sprouted grain bun for a healthier alternative. You can also try cauliflower rice as an easy and tasty side dish alternative.
9. Load up on vegetables – Aim to fill half your plate with healthy and nutritiously dense veggies at meals such as salads, roasted asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and veggie kebabs (make your own with onion, red and green peppers and mushrooms – so easy and delicious). Try to fill your plate with an array of colours to maximize your nutrient intake.
10. Go for a walk – If your up at the cottage, try to get out for a nice long nature walk. It is summer after all – it’s time to enjoy every minute of this beautiful weather! Exercise is so important when it comes to weight loss and it will help you keep your metabolism in tip top shape.