Summer can often be overwhelming when it comes to eating healthy and staying on track with your weight loss journey. These summer foods are great for weight loss and will help to keep you on track and feeling your very best all summer long.
1. Vegetables – A fresh, colourful summer salad is not only a great way to brighten up your meal, but it also provides you with a wide array of beneficial vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that support weight loss. In addition to salads, having cut up veggies in your fridge is the perfect thing to grab when you are looking for a snack throughout the day.
2. Herbal iced teas – Let’s face it – water can sometimes get repetitive and when its hot and sunny out, we are often looking for something a little more refreshing. Homemade iced herbal teas are the perfect way to get that refreshing kick while still staying nice and hydrated.
Here’s how to make the perfect batch of iced tea at home:
- Pour 2 cups of boiling water over 4 tea bags in a heat-resistant pitcher.
- Steep for 4-6 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and add 2 cups of cold water.
- Serve over ice.
For an iced herbal tea on the go – Starbucks make a great one! Just ask for an iced passion tea, unsweetened.
3. Berries – This all star fruit is loaded with beneficial antioxidants, making them the perfect summer indulgence! They are loaded with fiber which helps to fill you up and their low GI status helps to keep your blood sugars balanced, reducing hunger and cravings throughout the day. Throw 1/2 cup of berries into your summer smoothie or grab some for a quick afternoon snack.
4. Lemon water – This is a health tip that comes up often – and for good reason! Adding freshly squeezed lemon to your morning water helps to boost your metabolism while giving your liver a gentle detox. It also works to make our bodies more alkaline which helps to support weight loss. Start each day with a fresh glass of lemon water and feel the boost this powerful drink has to offer.
5. Greek yogurt – Yogurt is the perfect summer food that will fill you up and keep you full – 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt offers a whopping 16g of protein. Always opt for 1-2% to give you more healthy fats and less sugar and always go for the unflavoured variety – adding berries or fruit to sweeten in a healthier, more controlled way. Looking for ways to use Greek yogurt? Try adding some into your morning smoothie, making a delicious yogurt parfait, using it as the base for a dip with veggies or having it as an afternoon snack.
6. Avocados – Healthy fats are essential when it comes to weight loss and avocados are the perfect solution. They are packed with healthy, fill-me-up fats and are loaded with fiber and folic acid. Click here for recipes on how to make the perfect avocado toast.