HEARTY AND WARMING FALL SOUPS
Published on October 13, 2017
Hearty soups are a fall staple for an easy, warming lunch or dinner so here are some of our favourite low calorie fall soups to try out this season!
Detox turkey soup
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large saucepan, cook the ground turkey over medium heat. Add onion into saucepan and cook until meat is no longer pink and onion has softened. Drain.
- Then add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis: calories 141, fat 6g, carbohydrates 8g, fiber 2g, protein 16g
Hearty fall soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 leeks, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained
- 6 cups filtered water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves cut in wide pieces
- 1 can of lentils, rinsed well and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water/vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, kale, lentils, thyme, sea salt, and black pepper. Simmer until the lentils are tender.
utritional analysis: calories 230, fat 1g, carbohydrates 47g, fiber 10g, protein 11g
Roasted tomato soup
- 4 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 8-10 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium onions, diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 5 cups of filtered water
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic, ¼ cup of the olive oil, and sea salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture, along with any accumulated juices, to a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer, skin side down, and roast until charred on the edges, about 40 minutes. Set aside and cool slightly, then slip the skins off the tomatoes.
- In a large saucepan heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the basil, parsley, and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the roasted tomatoes, along with any accumulated juices, and 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook gently to allow the flavors to blend, for about 8 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional analysis: calories 200, fat 15g, carbohydrates 17g, fiber 5g, protein 3g
Protein packed kale and white bean soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) container of low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Two large carrots, sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Add broth, kale, tomatoes, and carrots, and cover. Cook 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Add beans and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
utritional analysis: calories 305, fat 5g, carbohydrates 50g, fiber 17g, protein 17g
Dairy free cauliflower and mushroom soup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3 cups of mushrooms
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Over medium heat, sauté the garlic and shallot in the olive oil until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add cauliflower and mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, sea salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until cauliflower is tender.
- Pour the soup into a heat-proof blender, blend until smooth, return to pan to reheat and serve. If soup is too thick, add more stock after blending and stir well.
utritional analysis: calories 85, fat 4g, carbohydrates 8g, fiber 2g, protein 6g
Split pea soup
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 lb bag of whole carrots, chopped finely
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped finely
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups water
- 1 bunch of dill, stems removed, leaves finely minced
- Over medium heat, heat oil in large soup pot.
- Add onion to pot and cook until soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add carrots and sweet potatoes and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add peas, salt and pepper and cook for more 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add water, bring to a boil and cook on low, covered, for about 1 hour or until peas are soft and have fallen apart.
- Add the chopped dill and stir.
Nutritional analysis: calories 255, fat 4g, carbohydrates 43g, fiber 16g, protein 13g