HEALTHY GUT, HEALTHY YOU!
Published on March 14, 2017
Optimal digestion and a healthy gut are so important when it comes to weight loss. The following are some effective tips to achieve a healthy gut and healthy weight!
- Ground flaxseed or chia seed - Add 1 heaping tablespoon of ground flax or chia seeds daily – both are gentle sources of fiber that can help promote regularity. Always ensure your flax seeds are ground, otherwise the body can not absorb them properly. Click here for other great sources of fiber and creative ways to increase it in the diet.
- Psyllium fiber or bran buds - Adding 1 teaspoon of psyllium powder to your smoothie can be helpful. Or try adding ¼ cup of Bran Bud’s to your morning yogurt and berries. Bran bud’s is one of the few cereals on the market that contains psyllium fiber.
- WATER! Our bodies need to be hydrated to promote weight loss and help keep us regular. Ensure you are drinking at least 2 litres of water each day.
- Drink fresh lemon juice and warm water in the morning. Lemon juice is great for the liver stimulating bile flow which gets the rest of the digestive system moving. Just squeeze a wedge of lemon in a glass of warm water and drink first thing in the morning!
- Chlorophyll – Add 1 teaspoon of chlorophyll to a glass of water throughout the day to help promote detoxification and digestion.
- Magnesium –Magnesium is the 2nd most abundant mineral in the body next to calcium. Magnesium stimulates peristalsis which is the rhythmic contraction of your digestive system, moving things along the digestive tract. Great sources of magnesium include; dark leafy green veggies, whole grains, pumpkin seeds and black beans.
- Probiotics – Healthy bacteria in our gut is essential for the proper breakdown and absorption of nutrients from our food as well as proper elimination. Plain yogurt with probiotics is a good place to start. Other food sources of probiotics include naturally fermented sauerkraut, kefir, miso and also tempeh. You can also try a probiotic supplement to ensure a healthy gut and regularity.
- Prunes – Try having 2-3 small prunes per day for a week to increase fiber.
- Omega 3 Fish oil or flax oil – Healthy fats are an essential component in keeping our cells happy and healthy. Add 1 tablespoon of fish oil or flax oil per day. Try adding it into your morning smoothie.
- Exercise – Exercise will help promote weight loss and regularity so move as much as possible! Walk instead of driving whenever you can, take the stairs instead of the elevator or go for a long walk after dinner.