DELICIOUS GRAIN FREE RECIPES
Published on June 30, 2017
Ditch the carb-heavy meals this long weekend and try some of these light and delicious recipes. No matter where you are this weekend - by the pool or up at the cottage – these recipes are sure to be an instant hit! Coconut chia seed puddingAn easy and filling recipe that can be prepared ahead of time and used for a quick breakfast or lunch and is chalked full of healthy, fill-you-up fats.INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- Pinch sea salt
- Pour the almond/coconut milk into a small to medium-sized saucepan. Add vanilla into milk. Warm the milk over medium-heat until it comes to a gentle boil. Add the flax, chia, and hemp seeds along with the coconut, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to simmer and stir over low heat until porridge thickens.
- Season with a small pinch of salt. Serve immediately with drizzled honey on top.
Serves 1Nutritional analysis: calories 457, fat 32g, carbohydrates 22g, fiber 17g, protein 18g Veggie dipThis dip is absolutely delicious and great to put out on a veggie platter for day and night time snacking! INGREDIENTS
- 1 eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped into 1 “ cubes
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and chopped into 1” cubes
- 2 red peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped into 1” cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon organic tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine eggplant, zucchini, peppers, onion and garlic in a bowl and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes, tossing once half way through baking. (you can also throw on the BBQ as alternative)
- Cool slightly then place veggies in a food processor along with tomato paste and pulse 3 or 4 times. Mixture should have a slightly chunky texture.
- Serve with veggie sticks or healthy crackers.
Serves 4Nutritional analysis: calories 90, fat 4g, carbohydrates 14g, fiber 6g, protein 3g Sweet Summer Slaw with Lemon Dressing This go-to summer salad can be used as a side dish at a BBQ or as an easy and delicious lunch or dinner. INGREDIENTS
- ¼ head of red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ head of green cabbage, shredded
- 3 heirloom carrots, shredded
- 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Combine cabbage and carrot in a large serving bowl.
- Whisk lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, olive oil and honey.
- Pour dressing over slaw and marinate 30-45 minutes or overnight.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and add pomegranate seeds before serving.
Tip: Throw on a hard-boiled egg, can of tuna or ½ cup of chickpeas to make this slaw a complete meal.Serves 4Nutritional analysis: calories 186, fat 13g, carbohydrates 18g, fiber 5g, protein 2g Greek chickpea pasta saladChalked full of protein and fiber, this delicious grain-free pasta salad is the perfect twist on the classic version that your guests will absolutely love! INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups uncooked chickpeas pasta
- ½ cup red onions, diced
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cucumbers, diced
- ¾ cup black olives, unpitted and sliced
- ½ cup green peppers, diced
- ½ cup red peppers, diced
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the chickpeas pasta and cook it until al dente (about 5-6 minutes). Strain the pasta and transfer it to a large bowl to cool slightly. While the pasta cools, make the dressing.
- Add the red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and peppers to the pasta bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, sea salt and pepper. While whisking, stream in the olive oil slowly.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, tossing well to combine.
- Sprinkle feta cheese and add sliced hard boiled eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours and up to overnight. When ready to serve, toss the pasta salad again and enjoy cold or at room temperature.
Serves 8 Nutritional analysis: 290 calories, fat 20g, carbohydrates 22g, fiber 5g, protein 10g Feta turkey burger on lettuce wrapPerfect for the BBQ season, these turkey burgers can be made ahead of time and frozen for a last minute dinner option. INGREDIENTS
- 4 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Boston lettuce
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat. In a bowl mix turkey, feta, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Form into a large patty or 2-3 sliders. Lightly oil grate and place patty (or sliders) onto grill.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until turkey is cooked through, flipping half way through.
- Serve on Boston lettuce leaves with your favourite condiments (i.e., onion, tomato slices, pickles, mustard, pea shoots, guacamole, etc.)
Serves 1Nutritional analysis: calories 188, fat 10g, protein 24g Cedar plank grilled salmonIf you have never tried using a cedar plank on the BBQ, it is a must! It completely changes the taste of your salmon and is fun and easy to make. INGREDIENTS
- 1 (3 pound) whole filet of salmon, skin on, scored (up to but not through the skin)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Soak an untreated cedar plank (or planks) large enough to hold a side of salmon (5 to 7 inches wide and 16 to 20 inches long) in water, weighting it with something heavy so it stays submerged 30 minutes to 24 hours.
- When ready to grill, either build a charcoal fire in half the grill or turn grill burners on high for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix oil, garlic, dill, salt, pepper and lemon zest; rub over salmon and into scored areas to coat.
- Place soaked cedar on hot grill grate, close lid, and watch until wood starts to smoke, about 5 minutes. Transfer salmon to hot plank, move salmon off direct charcoal heat or turn burners to low, and cook covered until salmon is just opaque throughout, about 25 minutes or longer, depending on thickness and grill temperature. Let sit 5 minutes; serve with lemon wedges.
Serves 6 Nutritional analysis: calories 428, fat 28g, carbohydrates 2g, protein 45g Cauliflower “rice”This grain-free rice is made with a simple and delicious secret ingredient – cauliflower! Can be served at lunch or dinner and is a great side dish that is sure to be a big hit! INGREDIENTS
- 4 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup unshelled edamame
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- Cut cauliflower into florets and place in a food processor with the “S” blade. Process until the texture of rice appears. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 8-10 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add edamame and green onion to skillet and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower to skillet, cover and cook 5-10 minutes, until soft, then season with sea salt and serve as a side dish.
Serves 5Nutritional analysis: calories 130, fat 12g, carbohydrates 6g, fiber 2g, protein 2g