Ever wonder what a day in the life of a Nutritionist looks like? Well here is a snapshot into the life of some of the Holistic Nutritionists at Shulman Weight Loss Clinics!
- 1 big steamy mug of lemon water (1/2 fresh organic lemon squeezed into my warm water)
- 1 pearl probiotic
- 1 karmaffin toasted with 1 tablespoon almond butter + 1 fried egg
- drops of Vitamin D liquid by AOR (2,000 IU)
- Matcha green tea with 1/2 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/2 cup Greek goat yogurt sweetened with 1/2 tsp apple butter and 1/4 cup JK granola + 1 Tablespoon ground flax
- 8oz water
- herbal tea (sip all day-keeps warm in my S’well bottle)
- coconut wrap with 3 oz nitrate free turkey slices, kale and red pepper slices, 1 teaspoon mayo
- 1 big raw organic carrot
- 8oz water
- herbal tea
- apple and 8 walnut halves
- 8oz water
- herbal tea/sometimes another Matcha green tea with honey
- Cauliflower fried “rice” with chicken (click here for a recipe!)
- 8oz water
- 2 skinny chews
7:00am: Lemon water upon waking
8:30am: Breakfast is usually a smoothie with almond milk, chia seeds, chocolate vegan protein powder, spirulina, spinach, ½ cup frozen blueberries.
9:30am: Mid morning I love my green tea for a mild pick me up!
12:00pm: Lunch is usually a salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, baby cucumber, celery, carrots, quinoa, hard boiled eggs or roasted chickpeas and a lemon, olive oil, apple cider vinegar dressing.
3:30pm: Mid afternoon I love to have a homemade banana almond flour muffin with almond butter. I will usually have an unsweetened matcha latte with almond milk and cinnamon with my snack.
5:30pm: I always try to fit in a hot yoga class at least 4-5x per week
7:00pm: My favorite dinners are Barbeque chicken with roasted sweet potato, fennel, ¼ avocado and hummus.
9:00pm: I always have my Cup of Calm tea from Traditional Medicine with either 2 squares of 85% raw chocolate or 2 Genuine Health skin chews.
- Lemon water + 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Weekday breakfast: protein smoothie = 1 scoop Genuine Health Fermented protein powder + 1 tablespoon chia seeds + big handful of spinach + 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I love Califia farms!) + ½ banana
- Weekend breakfast: steel cut oats with hemp heats, berries, natural peanut butter and sprinkle of cinnamon
- Salad with protein (eggs, chickpeas, or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + oregano + herbamere
- Brown rice crackers + hummus or apple + peanut butter
- Large glass of water with chlorophyll (click here for the one I like)
- Chicken with assortment of roasted vegetables and salad
After dinner cravings:
- Homemade Popsicle with herbal tea
- Unsweetened apple sauce (my favourite)
Hot water with ½ lemon (around 30 minutes before breakfast), sometimes I’ll add 1 tsp of chia seeds
Overnight chia pudding – around 8:00am
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 scoop vegan protein powder (chocolate or vanilla), ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk + some water), dash of cinnamon and cacao powder, ½ cup of blueberries or a few banana slices, 1 tsp of cacao nibs
Mid-morning snack (around 10:30am): Matcha latte or coffee (with almond milk) – if hungry, apple or pear
Lunch – 12:30pm
- Salad – mixed greens, chopped veggies (carrots, cabbage, cucumber, radishes), olives, ¼ avocado, 2 hardboiled eggs or chicken breast and balsamic vinaigrette, Mary’s crackers on the side
Afternoon snack – around 3:30-4:00pm: 2 tahini protein balls and chopped carrots with herbal tea (cinnamon or peppermint)
Dinner – 7:00pm
- Salad – mixed greens, chopped veggies (peppers, carrots, celery, cucumber), and vinaigrette. Roasted sweet potatoes and cauliflower and baked salmon filet with pumpkin seed and hemp heart crust
After dinner – around 9:00pm
- Herbal tea (cinnamon, ginger, peppermint or chamomile)
- If hungry, some berries or chopped cucumbers/peppers
- Sometimes a square of dark chocolate
Mornings are key. For me they are a time for slow easing into the day. Coffee with a splash of almond milk, quiet time to journal and reflect before family gets up, and my morning drink of water, lime, apple cider vinegar and cayenne.
Breakfast is almost always a smoothie. With ginger and as many greens as I can fit! I make enough for me and my little guy and we sit together on the couch and have our green drinks. After breakfast whenever possible I like to squeeze in movement… a long walk with the dog, some yoga or a strength circuit. I keep it simple and keep my exercise at home. No need to complicate and create an extra step in the day. Your body is all you really need to exercise!
The day flies by but lunch is always veggie focused. I keep it super simple for lunch. Simple to prep and simple foods to digest so I can stay energized through the day.
Evening is my time to wind down. I put on a wellness podcast while I chop vegetables to roast or sauté and prep the rest of my dinner. I like things that take a bit more time to cook at this time of day. It creates space in between to read, stretch, and play with my dog.
After dinner is self care. Always, as a practice. This might be a bath with essential oils, putting my feet up on a wall and breathing deeply, a meditation or even doing my nails! The important thing is to prioritize self, even in a small way.
Before bed I like to have a cup of chamomile tea to help with sleep and relaxation. If I need the extra support for sleep I will also add in lavender and catnip and maybe even some powdered magnesium. I’m not a good sleeper by nature, so herbs have been super helpful at aiding me into a restorative sleep.
My most personal rituals I cannot live without:
- Once I am awake I like to sit in bed for a bit and do a gratitude intention and then plan my day in my head…mainly of how I can make this day run smoothly.
- Lemon water in the morning is a must for me. I do this before I take a shower and start my day.
- Before I start my morning hygiene routine, I have 6 post its of affirmations on my mirror. I now automatically read them out loud (hey it may seem crazy but it works). Examples: “Moving forward with grace” or “I am succeeding” etc.
- Making my smoothies fresh in the morning. I literally can not live without my smoothies, packed with greens and of course chocolate chocolate chocolate!!!
- Making lunches in the morning so they stay and taste fresh! I always put something green in my lunch, it could be a salad, baked/sauteed veggies, cut up veggies etc.
- The ultimate routine at work is focusing on breathing, water intake and stretching. Since I am at a desk all day I like to stretch as I walk or even in the chair. I like to roll my shoulders, neck, wrists and ankles…I never stop moving and I don’t remain in the same posture the entire time I am sitting.
- On my drive home I make sure I have a full bottle of water…you never know how traffic gets. I will at times have cut up veggies in the car to decrease my hunger before dinner. I also carry “Bach” – Rescue Remedy spray and chewables to calm me down if I need them…traffic can get crazy.
- I have comfortable house clothes that I like to wear after work…mainly yoga wear that are a looser fit. This gives my body a different way to breath and relax.
- Dinner is a community effort…so whoever is in my house at that time partakes in cooking, setting the table, eating and then cleaning.
- Before we eat we do a little pray….not religious or spiritual that’s ok then sit in silence for 15 sec before you indulge in your meal. If that doesn’t work then take 5 deep breathes. I like to do this to create a bit of space between chaos and enjoying my meal….it supports better digestion. I also like thanking for the gifts of food and realizing how lucky we are.
- Nightly routine includes a calming tea, relaxed conversation and deep breathing to close the day.
I love starting my day with a good work out class. I find I have so much more energy and feel amazing throughout the day when I start my day this way. After a work out class, I always have my warm water + lemon. I can’t go without it! My body feels off if I skip it! Warm water and lemon is a great routine to get into because it kickstarts your digestion. After that, I like to have a coffee with steamed almond milk. l usually have my breakfast in the car, which consists of me drinking my smoothie on way to work- my smoothie always needs to have crunchy toppings- cacao nibs are my favourite! (I prefer to chew my smoothie than drink it and plus it’s better for your digestion anyways! 🙂 ). I LOVE a smoothie for breakfast- I find it very filling and keeps me full until lunch. At lunch, I am usually very hungry. I like to have a big salad with salmon/chicken, roasted veggies, and then I always add pumpkin seeds! My afternoon snack usually consists of an apple with walnuts, chia pudding or a protein bar. When I’m cooking dinner, I love to munch on organic carrots (I keep the skins on!) and my dinner is usually chicken or fish with vegetables and sometimes sweet potatoes. After dinner, I like to have my vitamin c chewables while watching my favourite show on the couch 🙂
- Daily gratitude moment
- Set my intentions
- Positive affirmations!
- Stretch or yoga and/or workout – weights and/or cardio
- Lemon water
- Bullet proof coffee – hemp and coconut oil
- Smoothie – iron vegan pro powder, GH gut superfoods, collagen, fruit, almond milk
- Work – love what I do!
- Play – walk my dog and/or get out in nature/sunshine with family/friends – hike, ski, golf etc
- Healthy lunch – beautiful salad/greens with healthy fats and protein
- Match green tea latte with coconut or almond milk in afternoon
- Home cooked-dinner with family, connect after the day
- Play – a game with family/friends – cards, pool, table tennis
- Daily gratitude/ intentions