Smoothies are an easy and delicious way to nourish the body with wholesome and nutritious ingredients. They make a great breakfast, lunch and dinner and can be packed with greens for a nutritious boost!
Step 1: Pick your protein
- 1/2 cup of unflavoured Greek yogurt or 3/4 cup plain yogurt (1-2% is preferred)
- 3 tablespoons of hemp hearts
- 1-2 scoops of your favourite protein powder
- Vega One
- Sunfoods (can be purchased at Shulman Weight Loss Clinics or in the US)
- Genuine Health
Step 2: Pick your base
This is your liquid component. We recommend starting with 1 cup and increase slightly to change consistency.
- Unsweetened nut milk (almond, cashew, coconut, etc.)
- 1-2% milk
- Unsweetened rice milk
- Unsweetened soy milk
- Filtered water
Step 3: Choose your fruit
Quantities are key here and you don’t want to over do it with your fruit portions. We recommend picking one fruit serving per smoothie.
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh berries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 frozen mango
- 1 apple
Step 4: Add your greens
Boost your smoothie with a heaping handful of greens. We love spinach, kale and arugula!
Step 5: Decide on additional add in’s
Get as creative as you would like here! Our suggested add in’s include:
- ground flax or chia seeds
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- nut butters (peanut, almond, cashew, etc)
- unsweetened cocoa powder (if your protein powder is not already chocolate)
Step 6: Blend!
Blend on medium to high setting for up to a minute. Make sure everything is well blended and enjoy!
Almond butter and banana smoothie recipe
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ banana
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Blend all ingredients together and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis: calories 380, fat 20g, carbohydrates 30g, fiber 11g, protein 30g