Ditch the store bought pesto and whip up your own batch of this versatile and delicious sauce. This easy to make pesto uses only 7 ingredients and is filled with healthy fats, and powerful antioxidants!
Benefits of pesto:
- Pine nuts and extra virgin olive oils are packed with heart healthy, beneficial fats that support our cell membranes, including hair, nails and skin.
- Garlic helps to lower cholesterol levels.
- Basil and kale are packed with powerful antioxidants that help to support our immune system and keep us healthy!
- Pesto is versatile for allergies and sensitive’s – can be made into a dairy free option by removing the cheese and replacing with a non-dairy cheese alternative.
Easy homemade pesto
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 cups firmly-packed fresh kale
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon to ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place pine nuts in a dry skillet, and toast until golden brown, for about 3 minutes.
- Place kale and bay leaves in a food processor. Add toasted pine nuts, garlic and kosher salt. Pulse until kale is finely chopped.
- Add cheese, and pulse until cheese is mixed through. Do not puree or over process.
- Drizzle in olive oil, and continue to pulse until the pesto reaches the desired texture.
Nutritional analysis: calories 200, fat 19g, carbohydrates 7g, fiber 2g, protein 4g
Voila – you have a beautiful green kale pesto – so now what?
Here are some of our favourite ways to use this versatile dish:
- Tossed onto zucchini noodles to make a “faux pasta”
- As a dip with cut up vegetables or healthy crackers (makes a great appetizer or afternoon snack!)
- Spread on a wrap or sandwich for a kick of healthy fats and of course – a punch of yummy flavour
- Added onto roasted vegetables (i.e., broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) to change up your veggie routine at lunch or dinner – and the kids will love it!
- Topped on chicken or salmon as a delicious dinner option
- Great to add onto a cauliflower crust pizza (click here for a great recipe) as an alternative to a tomato sauce base – always fun to change it up!