Get back into the school routine with these easy, delicious and uber healthy back to school recipes that you and the kids will love!
Breakfast oatmeal muffins
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 scoops of protein powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups ripe mashed banana
- 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 380 F, and line 25 muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, sea salt, protein powder, cinnamon, flax seeds and chocolate chips and stir very well.
- In a separate bowl, combine banana, maple syrup, water, coconut oil and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Mix wet into dry and combine. Pour into the muffin liners and bake for 20 minutes. Broil for an extra 1-2 minutes to get crispy muffin tops.
Makes 25 muffins
Nutritional analysis: calories 130, fat 3g, carbohydrates 22g, fiber 3g, protein 4g
Mini broccoli cheddar quiches
- 12 eggs
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add cheese and broccoli florets, sea salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into 12 medium-sized, greased muffin tins and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
Two muffins = one serving
Nutritional analysis for two muffins = calories 160, fat 11g, carbohydrates 1g, protein 13g
Crispy chicken fingers
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of spelt bread crumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg whites
- Prepare chicken by cutting into chicken finger size pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl combine breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt. Stir till well combined.
- In a separate bowl beat 2 egg whites.
- Dip chicken fingers one by one into the egg mixture and then roll them in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place breaded fingers on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees, turning after 15 minutes and baking another 10 minutes till golden and crispy.
Nutritional analysis: calories 240, fat 9g, carbohydrates 8g, fiber 1g, protein 32 g
Turkey and cranberry wraps
- 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dried, unsweetened cranberries
- 2 oz. feta or goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach or arugula
- 2 whole wheat or sprouted tortillas
- In a small bowl combine chicken, apple, mayonnaise, cranberries, feta/goat cheese, rosemary and pepper.
- Place chicken on tortillas and top with chicken mixture and spinach. Roll up and wrap in tinfoil.
Nutritional analysis: calories 440, fat 15g, carbohydrates 44g, fiber 8g, protein 33g
Protein packed chicken chili
- 12 oz ground lean chicken
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, add ground chicken and cook on medium heat until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add oil, onion and the garlic and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir.
- Add the celery, and pepper and saute for another 5-7 minutes or so, until softened.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10-15 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
Nutritional Analysis: calories 368, fat 6g, carbohydrates 51g, fiber 13g, protein 28g