Finding the right sugar and flour can often be very overwhelming! With so many great alternatives available on the market today, it is finally time to ditch the unhealthy, refined sugars and flours and incorporate the clean, healthier alternatives once and for all.
Not only do white refined sugar and flours have a negative impact on our health, but they are also void of all the wonderful vitamins and minerals our bodies need to function properly. Some of the major health impacts they have include:
- Suppress our immune system
- Increased risk for diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol and other diseases
- Promotes weight gain and hunger
- Spikes sugar cravings and insulin response
- Causes fluctuations in blood sugars
Let’s face it – grains are just not what they used to be. They are so overly processed, our bodies no longer recognize them. Here’s how to swap white, refined flours for healthier substitutes our bodies can actually recognize and benefit from:
- Coconut flour – This low caloric flour is high in fiber and low in carbs.
- Almond flour – A great substitute, but be sure to sift almond flour thoroughly before using so it doesn’t leave you with a dense product
- Spelt flour – A rich source of vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, iron, magnesium and zinc.
- Whole wheat flour – An easy swap for white flours that is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Brown rice flour – A delicious gluten-free flour alternative
- Quinoa flour – Another delicious gluten-free option that is high in protein and contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- Chickpea flour – A flour alternative that is high in protein and fiber.
Lower your sugar intake and promote stable blood sugars with healthier alternatives to sugar. These include:
- Coconut sugar – This low GI sugar is a great substitute in coffee and baking.
- Pure maple syrup – Swap white sugar in recipes for pure maple syrup.
- Raw honey or agave – Another easy swap for white, refined sugars.
- Cinnamon – Sprinkle cinnamon into coffee and baked goods to naturally balance your blood sugars.
- Vanilla bean powder – A tiny pinch of this delicious powder goes a long way!
- Vanilla extract (alcohol-free)
Jumping off the white refined sugar and flour wagon will make such a difference in how you feel. Make the swap today and start feeling your very best!